[alsa-devel] multiple, non-physically accesible, HDMI devices listed for Intel IbexPeak ALC269VB

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sun Mar 4 03:43:20 CET 2012

On 03/04/2012 12:36 AM, Andres Cimmarusti wrote:
>> There is active work going on in this area. In fact, I just posted a patch
>> to the PA mailinglist [1]. And yes, we already have it in Ubuntu 11.10 (to
>> probe multiple hdmi devices for Intel and NVidia), and the main reason it
>> took until now to upstream that patch, was the decision to switch jack
>> detection method from input devices to kcontrols.
>
> Thank you for all the references you provided and your work in fixing
> this issue for all users. I just looked at the git repository for the
> source code of pulseaudio, but I see your patches have not been
> included yet. Do you have any estimate of when they will be merged? if
> so, do you think they'll be included in the next release (do you know
> when this will be?) ?

I hope they'll be in PulseAudio 2.0, as they are currently waiting for
review. For next release, see [2], but judging from the PulseAudio 1.0
release process - no, I don't know when this will be ;-)

> I'm considering reassigning this bug to pulseaudio in debian and
> asking them to include the appropriate patches. Which ones would
> actually be needed (say, to apply them to pulseaudio 1.1)? would your
> 6 patches announced on the mailing list in February be enough?

If you want them to apply to PulseAudio 1.1, you can have a look at [1].
The patches currently posted apply to git head. You'll need all of the
06* patches (as well as Linux 3.3 for the kcontrols).

A more light-weight version could be what I did in Ubuntu 11.04, where
there was no jack detection, but I just exposed all four devices in
PulseAudio and let the user choose manually, like this [4]. (I later
renamed that file from "nvidia.conf" to "extra-hdmi.conf", and added the
same file to be used for Intel chips.)

>> Let me also push for the hda-jack-retask [2] application, which is an
>> easy-to-use GUI for creating these types of firmware files. I advertised it
>> here a while ago [3] but it seems to have gone unnoticed.
>
> This sounds like a good tool for making this happen. I will submit a
> Request For Package in Debian... but this can take time. Would you
> consider packaging it there? then it would easily flow into Ubuntu.

Certainly, if there is interest from the Debian side to have it.

I would also not mind if it became a part of upstream ALSA, I think it
would make a nice addition to the hda-analyzer, hda-verb etc tool set.

> I've encountered other hardware with the same issue recently. It's an
> NVIDIA card HDA MCP89 on a Macbook Pro 7,1. Is there a method I can
> follow for crafting my own "patches"? I'm afraid I don't understand
> how to find the appropriate HEX values that need to go in the [codec]
> and [pincfg] section.

I think the easiest way is just to download the hda-jack-retask
application and build it yourself. Otherwise, [3].

> Thanks all for your help.

You're welcome.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.