[alsa-devel] ASoC updates for 3.4

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jan 26 16:43:23 CET 2012

At Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:35:09 +0000,
Mark Brown wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:14:42AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Mark Brown wrote:

> > > Oh, well.  I think it's the tag rather than the signed bit.
>
> > I'm not entirely sure who to blame.  The error message is:
> >
> >   % git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/sound.git asoc-3.3-20120124
> >   fatal: Couldn't find remote ref asoc-3.3-20120124
>
> That's the tagging - older (and by older I mean "currently released")
> versions of git can only pull from branches so that's just saying it
> can't find the tag object.

It seems that the problem is rather in the server side.
I updated the git to version 1.7.9.rc2, but it still gives the same
error at pull.  Meanwhile, I could pull a signed tag from a local
tree.  Or I'm overlooking something obvious.

BTW, the pull of a signed tag gives always a merge commit even if it
can be fast-forwarded.  The --ff option doesn't work, too.
This is the intended behavior, AFAIK.

OTOH, we don't want to see too many merge commits in a straight
development line while the development phase.  So, pulling signed tags
from you while development might be not always ideal, if we want to
keep the sound git trees better in sync.

thanks,