[alsa-devel] ASoC updates for 3.4

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Jan 26 16:57:39 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 04:43:23PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:

> > That's the tagging - older (and by older I mean "currently released")
> > versions of git can only pull from branches so that's just saying it
> > can't find the tag object.

> It seems that the problem is rather in the server side.
> I updated the git to version 1.7.9.rc2, but it still gives the same
> error at pull.  Meanwhile, I could pull a signed tag from a local
> tree.  Or I'm overlooking something obvious.

I've deleted the tag since.  If you try pulling from

   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/kernel/git/broonie/regmap.git topic/patch

it should DTRT (I hope).

> BTW, the pull of a signed tag gives always a merge commit even if it
> can be fast-forwarded.  The --ff option doesn't work, too.
> This is the intended behavior, AFAIK.

> OTOH, we don't want to see too many merge commits in a straight
> development line while the development phase.  So, pulling signed tags
> from you while development might be not always ideal, if we want to
> keep the sound git trees better in sync.

I'm not sure it's much of an issue, but I guess it's not a big deal.
I'd prefer to use the signed tags for the fixes if that's OK, but I'll
omit them for development branches.  Or hold back on pushing to you so
often or something (we're integration testing via -next after all).