[alsa-devel] [Q] ASoC: What's the real meaning of SND_SOC_DAIFMT_NB_NF?

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Feb 23 17:14:47 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 04:58:09PM +0100, javier Martin wrote:

> So, let's see if I understood properly. If I want to configure the
> i.MX SSI into standard, I2S format I should do:

> dai_format =  SND_SOC_DAIFMT_I2S | SND_SOC_DAIFMT_NB_NF;
> snd_soc_dai_set_fmt(cpu_dai, dai_format);

Yes.

> While initially TFSI bit is set because of I2S flag, it is then
> cleared because of the NB_NF.

> Does this mean this is a bug then? If it is, I would gladly fix it but

I've no idea what any of the register settings mean here...

> there is at least one platform relying on this misleading behavior
> that I can't test:
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.2.7/sound/soc/imx/wm1133-ev1.c#L81

That was correct at the time it was written, though the code has changed
since then and I don't know when it was last retested.  Of course
depending on the signal it may interoperate well even if the setup isn't
actually correct.  I'd just fix the driver and if it works for yours
it's probably OK for that board too.