[alsa-devel] Plumbers: Please split audio topics into separate sessions

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Tue Aug 7 15:57:36 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:26:37PM +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 01:15 PM, Mark Brown wrote:

> >Isn't this a fairly simple Pulse/distro issue?

> PulseAudio - no, because PulseAudio does not control *all* volumes.
> They're partially overlapping, but not completely.

Oh, that's very surprising - my understanding had been that PulseAudio
was essentially just ignoring the configuration it got on startup.  Is
there any great reason not to subsume the functionality currently done
using alsactl?

> Distro - well, a distro can do anything they/we want, but
> recommendations from upstream will reduce confusion and risk for
> distros being bonked by upstream with the "you're doing it wrong,
> stupid!" message.

What I was suggetsing was that this become our advice for the distros.

> >For
> >that I guess if Pulse does something the distros would be happy to just
> >follow that?

> Not all distros use PulseAudio either, but maybe that's beyond the
> scope of the actual discussion.

I think so, if they're replacing all the software managing the
configuration they ought to be comfortable doing their own replacement.