[alsa-devel] Plumbers: Please split audio topics into separate sessions

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Aug 7 13:26:37 CEST 2012

On 08/07/2012 01:15 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:08:54AM +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>
>> When shutting down, both PulseAudio and alsactl saves volumes to
>> restore them later. And then we also have suspend and hibernate to
>> consider, and that cards can be plugged in at any time.
>
>> This is mostly a problem statement. I don't have a good proposal for
>> how to simplify it.
>
> Isn't this a fairly simple Pulse/distro issue?

PulseAudio - no, because PulseAudio does not control *all* volumes.
They're partially overlapping, but not completely.

Distro - well, a distro can do anything they/we want, but
recommendations from upstream will reduce confusion and risk for distros
being bonked by upstream with the "you're doing it wrong, stupid!" message.

> It seems like alsactl is
> redundant for most distros now so they could just disable it by default
> meaning we just have to worry about the DM/user Pulse handover.

That could be a way forward worth discussing at the session, but that's
not the way it works now.

> For
> that I guess if Pulse does something the distros would be happy to just
> follow that?

Not all distros use PulseAudio either, but maybe that's beyond the scope
of the actual discussion.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic