[alsa-devel] No sound on Quanta KN1 with kernel 3.4

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Apr 18 12:27:09 CEST 2012

At Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:55:45 +0200,
Uros Vampl wrote:

> > > OK, I'll send another patch tomorrow.  But the previous patch should
> > > work, still.  Make sure that you adjusted and unmuted the mixer
> > > elements after applying the patch.  There should be some new mixer
> > > elements.
> > >
> > > If it still doesn't work after the mixer adjustment, give alsa-info.sh
> > > output again.
> >
> > Also, there are many bogus input pins on your device.
> > Which physical inputs are on the machine?  BIOS advertises that there
> > are front-mic, rear-mic, line-in, aux-in and CD.  Do all these work
> > properly?  You can choose it from "Input Source" mixer enum.
> >
> > Also, it also advertises SPDIF input and output.  Are really both on
> > your machine?
>
> The only physical input is mic-in. But there's also an integrated
> microphone. In kernel 3.3 the intergrated mic is simply "Mic" and works
> for both playback and capture. I don't have an external mic to test.

You can use even a headphone although the recording level is low.
Just plug your headphone into the mic jack and shout.

> In kernel 3.4 I still don't have sound, even with the patch (I unmuted
> everything there was to unmute, then muted SPDIF, nothing produced
> sound), so I could only test capture - "Rear Mic" captures from the
> integrated microphone.

OK.

> I assume "Front Mic" would work for an external microphone, and maybe CD
> is for listening to audio CDs? The CD drive broke a few years back, so I
> can't test it.

On most of laptops, it's already deprecated.  So we can drop it.

> No idea about SPDIF-in,

If it has no jack, then we can drop it.

> but headphone-out doubles as SPDIF-out. There's
> a red light inside the jack, and if I unmute SPDIF, the light goes on. I
> remember it was like that also in Windows. I don't have appropriate
> hardware to test if it actually works.

OK, then it must be kept.

> Attached is a alsa-info.txt with the patch. There are some differences
> compared to without patch, but like I said above, still no sound.

Then the speaker pin is not 0x0f but 0x11.

I'll cook up the test patch based on the current information and post
it later.

thanks,