[alsa-devel] VT1708 clicks & pops

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Fri Sep 30 04:04:23 CEST 2011

Hi Takashi,

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:12:24PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 07:33:49AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Okay, here you go:
> > >
> > >   http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=8f3da35bd1b615d199f8e71df8b012fbdf5ff690
> >
> > This is the working device, right?
>
> No, this is the one with PA issues and the mixer levels issue I mentioned above.
> I haven't tested the snapshot driver on the working board, so I don't know if it
> is also effected by the mixer levels issue.

> > > Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to help.
> > >
> > > Given the similarities between the working and non-working boards, I was
> > > wondering if the BIOS is setting up the chips differently and that is the
> > > immediate cause of the problems.  In particular:
> > >
> > > * There is no set_widgets_power_state function for this chip.  If the BIOS
> > >   enables some power management function on one board but not the other and the
> > >   driver has no way to disable it, could that cause an issue like this one?
> >
> > No, as default the driver powers up all widgets and power down all
> > again at power-saving.  The VIA codec driver has an advanced
> > implementation to turn off a few unused widgets even in power-up.
> > And this feature is missing in VT1708.  So, it doesn't mean that the
> > driver has no power control.  It has.
>
> I see.
>
> > > * I see that the VB8002 has "N/A" listed for "Pin Default" for several
> > >   "Pin Complex" nodes where the EX15000G has "Jack".  Is it possible the
> > >   EX15000G has some nodes configured as AC_JACK_PORT_COMPLEX that should be
> > >   configured as AC_JACK_PORT_NONE?
> >
> > I don't know.  You need to check whether the pins are really correctly
> > set up.  For example, most of jacks have the detection capability.
> > Then plug/unplug each jack and check the pin-detection e.g. with
> > hda-verb program.
>
> I probably should have said so earlier, but this board has RCA connectors for
> most outputs.  I'm not sure that pin detection works for these?  In any case,
> the EX15000G and the VB8002 have the exact same the same physical connectors.
>
> The only 1/8" connector is the front panel headphone jack.  I checked this pin
> with hda-verb, and it appears to be setup correctly.
>
> > > It should be clear that I do not have a very good understanding of the HDA spec.
> > > I'm assuming the BIOS is responsible for configuring the chip as I've described
> > > above.  Do any of those problems sound possible to you?  If so, are there ways
> > > to work around them in the driver?
> >
> > Yes, pins can be easily overridden via sysfs or patch option.
> > See Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.
>
> Okay, thanks for the info.
>
> I experimented more and have some additional information that might be
> interesting:
>
> 1. The clicks and pops sound like they are actually brief snippets of audio that
>    are being played at the wrong time and mixed in with the correct audio.
>
> 2. With the old driver, when I mute some of the mixer controls the audio stream
>    becomes silent as expected but I still hear the snippets/clicks and pops for
> [...]

FYI, I tracked down the root cause of the clicks and pops and it's a PulseAudio
issue.  I'll follow up with the PA devs.  It's a pretty interesting problem, so
I'll probably Cc you if that's okay.

Please note that the mixer issue affecting the snapshot driver is still
outstanding.  I'm happy to test a fix if that's helpful.  It is not an urgent
matter for me, though, as the older driver version works fine.

Thanks for all of your help!

-Forest
--
Forest Bond