[alsa-devel] VT1708 clicks & pops

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Wed Sep 28 23:12:24 CEST 2011

Hi Takashi,

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 07:33:49AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:45:32 -0400, Forest Bond wrote:

> > > That's odd.

> > > For debugging, I'd need anyway the alsa-info.sh output from the latest
> > > alsa-driver snapshot.
> >
> > Okay, here you go:
> >
> >   http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=8f3da35bd1b615d199f8e71df8b012fbdf5ff690
>
> This is the working device, right?

No, this is the one with PA issues and the mixer levels issue I mentioned above.
I haven't tested the snapshot driver on the working board, so I don't know if it
is also effected by the mixer levels issue.

> > > Also, I'm working now on non-snooping mode support, and this might
> > > help for fixing some problems like yours.  Could you try the patch
> > > below (with the snapshot version)?
> >
> > Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to help.
> >
> > Given the similarities between the working and non-working boards, I was
> > wondering if the BIOS is setting up the chips differently and that is the
> > immediate cause of the problems.  In particular:
> >
> > * There is no set_widgets_power_state function for this chip.  If the BIOS
> >   enables some power management function on one board but not the other and the
> >   driver has no way to disable it, could that cause an issue like this one?
>
> No, as default the driver powers up all widgets and power down all
> again at power-saving.  The VIA codec driver has an advanced
> implementation to turn off a few unused widgets even in power-up.
> And this feature is missing in VT1708.  So, it doesn't mean that the
> driver has no power control.  It has.

I see.

> > * I see that the VB8002 has "N/A" listed for "Pin Default" for several
> >   "Pin Complex" nodes where the EX15000G has "Jack".  Is it possible the
> >   EX15000G has some nodes configured as AC_JACK_PORT_COMPLEX that should be
> >   configured as AC_JACK_PORT_NONE?
>
> I don't know.  You need to check whether the pins are really correctly
> set up.  For example, most of jacks have the detection capability.
> Then plug/unplug each jack and check the pin-detection e.g. with
> hda-verb program.

I probably should have said so earlier, but this board has RCA connectors for
most outputs.  I'm not sure that pin detection works for these?  In any case,
the EX15000G and the VB8002 have the exact same the same physical connectors.

The only 1/8" connector is the front panel headphone jack.  I checked this pin
with hda-verb, and it appears to be setup correctly.

> > It should be clear that I do not have a very good understanding of the HDA spec.
> > I'm assuming the BIOS is responsible for configuring the chip as I've described
> > above.  Do any of those problems sound possible to you?  If so, are there ways
> > to work around them in the driver?
>
> Yes, pins can be easily overridden via sysfs or patch option.
> See Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.

Okay, thanks for the info.

I experimented more and have some additional information that might be
interesting:

1. The clicks and pops sound like they are actually brief snippets of audio that
   are being played at the wrong time and mixed in with the correct audio.

2. With the old driver, when I mute some of the mixer controls the audio stream
   becomes silent as expected but I still hear the snippets/clicks and pops for
   a few seconds.  This happens with the Master Front, Headphone, Front,
   Surround, Center, LFE, and Side elements, although it only seems to happen
   with the Headphone element when I'm using the rear panel line out (RCA)
   jacks.  I do not see this with the snapshot driver.

#2 in particular is puzzling to me, but maybe that is due to not understanding
the hardware well enough.

Thanks,
Forest
--