[alsa-devel] ASoC driver parts probing order (MPC5200/MPC5121)

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Thu Oct 20 14:27:02 CEST 2011

Hi Wolfram!

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:13:03 +0200
Wolfram Sang <w.sang at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> > I think I was not clear enough. I meant sound/soc/fsl/mpc5200_dma.c, not
> > the actual Bestcom DMA driver.
>
> Ah, okay, sorry misunderstood that.

Never mind, I was too hasty to explain correctly what I meant ;-)

> > Btw, I am writing a DMA-less driver for the MPC5121e for now. It uses the
> > PSC FIFO and FIFO alarm interrupts. DMA support could be added later, when
> > de MPC5121 DMA driver becomes capable of doing device IO.
>
> OK, seems sensible for a start. MPC5121 does not get much love, so small
> steps are definately a good idea.

Yes :-(
This platform could get a big boost just by having open-sourced GPU drivers
for example, but that is never going to happen, and the binary drivers are
completely broken and useless.... so no GPU here.

> > > I can do tests.
> >
> > If you could try out latest mainline, to see if the driver still works,
> > that would be great for a start. I am almost certain it either doesn't work
> > anymore, or you have a 50% chance it crashes while booting.
>
> OK, I will leave for Prague in the next hours, so until I return, I can
> do only remote testing. But I should see OOPSes this way nonetheless.
> Might take a few days, though...

Ah, you have it hooked up the the Pengutronix remote workbench? Cool!
Have a nice trip :-)

Best regards,

--
David Jander