[alsa-devel] AudioArduino - an ALSA soundcard driver for FTDI-based Arduinos

Smilen Dimitrov sd at imi.aau.dk
Mon May 30 22:37:57 CEST 2011

Hi Sid,

> Are there any possibilities of extending it beyond 8-bit / 44.1 kHz?

The driver currently exposes a stereo, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz on the ALSA
side, since that is the lowest quality with which Audacity works in the
playback direction.

However, Arduino Duemillanove's ATMega328 is not really capable of
16-bit reproduction in this context: it has one 16-bit and two 8-bit
counters, and the 16-bit one is used to derive the 44.1 kHz (PCM) rate,
so the only thing available for PWM (analog) reproduction are the 8-bit
counters (there is a bit more on this in the paper on the webpage).

So what happens during stereo, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz playback, is that the
driver simply extracts the MSB of the left channel, and sends it as an
8-bit sample representation to the Arduino for PWM reproduction.

So in brief - as far as ALSA interfaces are concerned, I believe it is
possible to specify any rate you want (which is supported) - however,
"by default", it would be easy to only get 8-bit resolution (hardware)
reproduction on the Arduino (however, higher rates should in principle
be possible; as I think there should still some of bandwidth left, since
a duplex operation can be demonstrated at 2Mbps).

Hope this helps,
Cheers!