[alsa-devel] Regression post-ALSA 1.0.22 for Lenovo G555 Internal mic

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue May 24 14:16:50 CEST 2011

At Tue, 24 May 2011 13:04:22 +0100,
Roo - Andrew Baines wrote:

> Ah, ok, so I opened the email as raw text and I'm getting somewhere... I
> have attached the patch I am trying to apply, I apologise I have really very
> little idea.
>
> shark alsa-kernel # patch -p2 </home/roo/patch
> patching file pci/hda/patch_conexant.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 3484.
> Hunk #2 succeeded at 3330 with fuzz 2 (offset -178 lines).
> Hunk #3 FAILED at 3520.
> Hunk #4 FAILED at 3704.
> Hunk #5 succeeded at 3363 with fuzz 2 (offset -395 lines).
> 3 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> pci/hda/patch_conexant.c.rej
>
> I have also attached the latest alsa-info. In alsamixer I dont seem to have
> the auto-mute mixer, but I think I am running the latest snapshot:
>
> roo at shark ~ $ cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version
> 1.0.24.13.g953fe.286.ge539e.

Where did you get the snapshot tarball from?  It must be:
   ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz

Note that this is different from the tarball in alsa-project.org.  The
one in alsa-project.org is far behind the latest version.  It explains
why the patch failed.

(BTW, try the above tarball first without patching.)

> Compiled on May 24 2011 for kernel 2.6.38-2-amd64 (SMP).
>
> I am compiling as follows:
>
> ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-sequencer=yes
> make
> make install

In general, it's recommended to build all drivers, and use the update
directory.  The partial builds cause often dependency problems.
As mentioned in INSTALL, a safe combination is:

	% ./configure --with-debug=full --enable-dynamic-minors \
		--with-moddir=updates

This will install the resultant modules into
/lib/modules/$VERSION/updates/*.  So, you can remove these files
easily and back to the original state.