[alsa-devel] GR-55 Driver

Jeffrey Scott Flesher Gmail jeffrey.scott.flesher at gmail.com
Sun May 15 08:39:22 CEST 2011

I have read this article over a few times, trying to remove the kernel
and Reiser4 instructions; and I got a little confused; although I did
get it to compile and now it see's the GR-55 as a sound device; I tried
to jack it to the output but got no audio; what should I do to test it?

Do these instructions look correct?

git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git
cd sound-2.6
git apply 0001-ALSA-snd-usb-add-quirks-for-Roland-GR-55.patch
sudo cp -vi /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
sudo make oldconfig
# a lot of questions, I hit enter for default

make-kpkg clean

# Since I'm not building the kernel I didn't do this:
# But since this is the only command that will write the new kernel,
# what do I do?

nice fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-lockard
--overlay-dir=/home/username/dev/kernel/source kernel-image
kernel-headers

If I was to guess; I'd change the overlay-dir to use the kernel in the
sound-2.6 folder?

nice fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-gr55
--overlay-dir=/home/username/dev/sound/alsa/sound-2.6/kernel
kernel-image kernel-headers

# is this right?

cd ..
ls -lh
sudo dpkg -i linux-*.deb
uname -r # 2.6.39-rc3-gr55+

One thing strange was that it locked up on reboot, showing rc3, but a
reset with previous kernel, I saw the gr55 version so I picked it; it
worked as stated above; just don't know why it didn't set this version
as default, maybe a step I missed.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this; I had a hard drive go bad; so
I installed Ubuntu Studio 11.04; so I'm doing this against the newest
kernel.

Thanks