[alsa-devel] GR-55 Driver

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Sun May 15 13:36:35 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Jeffrey Scott Flesher Gmail
<jeffrey.scott.flesher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have read this article over a few times, trying to remove the kernel
> and Reiser4 instructions; and I got a little confused; although I did
> get it to compile and now it see's the GR-55 as a sound device; I tried
> to jack it to the output but got no audio; what should I do to test it?

I would just use aplay with a plain wav file and see what it does. And
then try arecord to see whether you can capture any input signal.

> Do these instructions look correct?

[...]

> sudo dpkg -i linux-*.deb
> uname -r # 2.6.39-rc3-gr55+

Very good, this is the desired result.

> One thing strange was that it locked up on reboot, showing rc3, but a
> reset with previous kernel, I saw the gr55 version so I picked it; it
> worked as stated above; just don't know why it didn't set this version
> as default, maybe a step I missed.

No, it's all good. The reason why it locked up might be that you are
now using a premature kernel which has not been officially released.
At the moment, as Linus' mainline tree is in a rather stable phase
(due to a new release coming up the next days or so), what you could
also do is

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
git checkout -b alsa
git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git
master

As of today, that should give you give a 2.6.39-rc7+ version. But for
testing whether the patch works, the approach you took is totally fine
I think.

Daniel