[alsa-devel] git trees

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Mar 31 02:33:28 CEST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 05:19:30PM -0700, Steve Calfee wrote:

> I am starting to look at a new codec driver. I have been looking at the
> alsa-project wiki describing the various git trees. I am confused
> because they seem to be lagging the linux releases (ie 2.6.38 is out,
> not in the two trees I have tried.

You should be developing against the Linux kernel, not against the out
of tree ALSA, for ASoC.  This is mostly true for regular ALSA drivers
too.

> So I checked out origin/for-2.6.39 when i built that I got a kernel
> version 2.6.38-rc1 or something. (and it built but didn't boot)

If it won't boot there's some non-audio issue on your system that you
need to figure out - other than audio it's just straight upstream.  For
current work you should use the latest for-2.6.xx branch, currently
2.6.40.

> What I need to know is which tree and which branch or tag I should use
> to develop on and to submit alsa patches from.

Just follow the standard kernel patch submission process as you would
for any other system.