[alsa-devel] git trees

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 03:03:41 CEST 2011

On 03/30/11 17:33, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 05:19:30PM -0700, Steve Calfee wrote:
>
>> I am starting to look at a new codec driver. I have been looking at the
>> alsa-project wiki describing the various git trees. I am confused
>> because they seem to be lagging the linux releases (ie 2.6.38 is out,
>> not in the two trees I have tried.
>
> You should be developing against the Linux kernel, not against the out
> of tree ALSA, for ASoC.  This is mostly true for regular ALSA drivers
> too.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your time. I was already using linux-next - So that would be
the correct tree when you say linux kernel?

If linux-next is the case how long do I have to wait until some of the
latest asoc patches arrive? I thought that the alsa trees were somewhat
ahead of the linux-next because they had asoc/alsa patches in them. For
instance you have patches against both 2.6.39 and 2.6.40 somewhere and I
don't think they are in linux-next.

Regards, Steve