[alsa-devel] MIDI issue with RME HDSPM MADI

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Jun 7 16:03:00 CEST 2011

takashi, one question:

On 06/07/2011 03:18 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> GOTCHA. it looks like it's higher up in the code. i just ran jack
> with my RME DIGI9652 (different driver!), and presto: when i ran
> faberman's rawmiditest or the micstasy remote (on the MADI card, not
> on the DIGI), there's xruns again. slightly less, but very likely
> caused by midi traffic. i'm just cross-checking with a make -j8
> kernel build, and there are no xruns, only when i have midi traffic.

if midi traffic on one card causes jack xruns on another, that rules out
jackd, doesn't it? reason i'm asking is you suggested to try
alsa-lib/test/latency.c, and i have trouble understanding how to run it.
i get

kleineronkel:/local/build/alsa-git/alsa-lib/test # ./latency -r 48000 -P
hw:1,0 -C hw:1,0 -c64 --period 64 -f FLOAT_LE -s 10
Scheduler set to Round Robin with priority 99...
Playback device is hw:1,0
Capture device is hw:1,0
Parameters are 48000Hz, FLOAT_LE, 64 channels, non-blocking mode
Poll mode: no
Loop limit is 480000 frames, minimum latency = 64, maximum latency = 4096
Access type not available for playback: Invalid argument
Unable to set parameters for playback stream: Invalid argument

it seems to be hardcoded to SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED, i guess that
won't work...

i changed it to ..._NONINTERLEAVED, but now i'm stuck at:

kleineronkel:/local/build/alsa-git/alsa-lib/test # ./latency -r 48000 -P
hw:1,0 -C hw:1,0 -f FLOAT_LE
Scheduler set to Round Robin with priority 99...
Playback device is hw:1,0
Capture device is hw:1,0
Parameters are 48000Hz, FLOAT_LE, 2 channels, non-blocking mode
Poll mode: no
Loop limit is 1440000 frames, minimum latency = 64, maximum latency = 4096
Sample format not available for playback: Invalid argument
Unable to set parameters for playback stream: Invalid argument

same issue with [US][16|24|32]-[BE|LE].

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister (VDT)

http://stackingdwarves.net