[alsa-devel] Issues with HDSPM

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Jun 7 14:46:10 CEST 2011

On 06/07/2011 11:45 AM, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 10:02 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>>> the HDSPM driver seems to be broken in the current ALSA release.
>>> We're using CentOS 5 with 2.6.33.9-rt31.64.el5rt and ALSA 1.0.24
>>> compiled from source, the card is a PCIe Hammerfall DSP MADI (rev d2).
>>> As already mentioned in [1], the card operates in master mode, but the
>>> system clock mode can't be set to anything higher than 48kHz.
>>
>> confirmed with 2.6.39.
>> this is a regression iirc, i think it used to work in 2.6.37...
>
> Very likely, the code between 2.6.38 and 2.6.39 changed more or less
> completely.
>
>> adi, i can test patches if you want, or you can have ssh access if it
>> helps.
>
> ssh would be good. Together with Andre, it might be worth checking
> on-site that the resulting sample rate is indeed correctly reported by
> external equipment.
>
> Andre, JFTR: don't use hdspmixer from the tarball, go directly for the
> git repo (alsa-tools) until 1.0.24.2 is released.

for the record, we just worked on my machine, and the problem could not
be reproduced again. what i think happens is:

* when you go higher than 48k, the card reduces its channels count,
first to 32, and then, above 96k, to 16 channels i/o.
* when something is using the card, this reconfiguration might be
prevented, so the card refuses to increase the sample rate.

i can switch to 192k no problem, but if i start jack while at 48k, i can
only go down, not up. my guess is that i had a half-dead jack around
when i tried to reproduce your issue. andre, can you confirm you do not
have any processes running on the card when the problem occurs? i guess
lsof /dev/snd/* might be useful...

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister (VDT)

http://stackingdwarves.net