[alsa-devel] additional problem

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Wed Jul 13 16:25:31 CEST 2011

On 07/13/2011 10:08 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:14:55 -0400,
> David Henderson wrote:
>>> Thanks again for the help Takashi.  Ok, I've created the
>>> /etc/asound.conf file with the appropriate group and now I'm trying to
>>> run the aplay binary and I'm not getting any error messages, but I'm
>>> also not hearing any sounds from the speakers.
>>>
>>> # aplay freq10-30000-10s.wav
>>> Playing WAVE 'freq10-30000-10s.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian,
>>> Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
>>>
>>> # speaker-test -w ./freq10-30000-10s.wav
>>>
>>> speaker-test 1.0.23
>>>
>>> Playback device is default
>>> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
>>> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
>>> Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
>>> Buffer size range from 2048 to 8192
>>> Period size range from 1024 to 1024
>>> Using max buffer size 8192
>>> Periods = 4
>>> was set period_size = 1024
>>> was set buffer_size = 8192
>>>   0 - Front Left
>>> Time per period = 2.835792
>>>   0 - Front Left
>>> Time per period = 2.986653
>>>   0 - Front Left
>>> Time per period = 2.986654
>>>   0 - Front Left
>>> ...snip...
>>>
>>> I've made sure nothing is muted with the audio hardware by using
>>> alsamixer and changed the permissions on the files within the /etc/snd
>>> directory.  Any other thoughts?
>>>
>>> Dave
>> bump for help
> You didn't give any useful information about the hardware itself, so
> no one can answer.  Did it ever sound correctly with any other distro
> at all?
>
> Please don't mix up the custom-build problem and the driver problem.
> The problem with silent output is more likely a driver issue (or a
> configuration issue).
>

> Takashi

The hardware is an integrated HDA Intel audio sound card.  The
/proc/asound/pcm file has this listed:

00-00: STAC92xx Analog : STAC92xx Analog : playback 1 : capture 2
00-01: STAC92xx Digital : STAC92xx Digital : playback 1
00-03: INTEL HDMI 0 : INTEL HDMI 0 : playback 1

Yes, this audio works just fine within Kubuntu.  Here is the output from
the 'lsmod' binary:

# lsmod
snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi    11040  1
snd_hda_codec_idt      30668  1
snd_hda_intel          14480  0
snd_hda_codec          33296  3
snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                37628  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_page_alloc          4016  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_timer              10564  1 snd_pcm
snd                    26200  6
snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               2640  1 snd
e1000e                 82016  0
video                  12712  0
output                   724  1 video
backlight               1632  1 video
hid_logitech            2872  0
serio_raw               2380  0

Seems to be getting the drivers loaded correctly, I just have no idea
why it's not playing.  Also, if I'm missing information to help with a
question, please don't just ignore it, but ask me for whatever
information you need to help resolve the problem.  Sometimes I forget to
include certain information or don't know what to post so any of the
people here can help fix the issue. :)  You guys have waaaaaay more
knowledge about this than I do after all. :)

Thanks,
Dave