[alsa-devel] additional problem

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jul 13 16:08:58 CEST 2011

At Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:14:55 -0400,
David Henderson wrote:

> > Thanks again for the help Takashi.  Ok, I've created the
> > /etc/asound.conf file with the appropriate group and now I'm trying to
> > run the aplay binary and I'm not getting any error messages, but I'm
> > also not hearing any sounds from the speakers.
> >
> > # aplay freq10-30000-10s.wav
> > Playing WAVE 'freq10-30000-10s.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian,
> > Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
> >
> > # speaker-test -w ./freq10-30000-10s.wav
> >
> > speaker-test 1.0.23
> >
> > Playback device is default
> > Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> > Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> > Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
> > Buffer size range from 2048 to 8192
> > Period size range from 1024 to 1024
> > Using max buffer size 8192
> > Periods = 4
> > was set period_size = 1024
> > was set buffer_size = 8192
> >  0 - Front Left
> > Time per period = 2.835792
> >  0 - Front Left
> > Time per period = 2.986653
> >  0 - Front Left
> > Time per period = 2.986654
> >  0 - Front Left
> > ...snip...
> >
> > I've made sure nothing is muted with the audio hardware by using
> > alsamixer and changed the permissions on the files within the /etc/snd
> > directory.  Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Dave
>
> bump for help

You didn't give any useful information about the hardware itself, so
no one can answer.  Did it ever sound correctly with any other distro
at all?

Please don't mix up the custom-build problem and the driver problem.
The problem with silent output is more likely a driver issue (or a
configuration issue).