[alsa-devel] UCM questions

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Fri Jan 21 17:43:29 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 09:12:51AM -0600, pl bossart wrote:

> > The device/use case names there are just defaults, systems can add their
> > own.  The default set of use cases and devices are likely to handle
> > most cases but there's going to be a dependence on the system
> > integration.

> I am fine with a system-specific configuration file for each use case,
> but if I have to change the defines in alsa-lib it's a bit of a pain.
> It'll imply branches and specific packages just for a stupid include
> file.

If the define isn't there you should just be able to use a string - no
need to update the header file unless the thing being added is
sufficiently general that it seems like a good idea.

> >> - has anyone generated a typical configuration file for USB and
> >> HDAudio? I only see an OMAP conf.

> > Someone asked this at LPC as well - my thought there is that probably
> > PC systems would be happier trying to work without explicit use case
> > configuration as they are currently.

> Humm, not sure people are totally happy with audio on Linux PC
> systems... we still don't have a simple solution for
> routing/configuration/policy, UCM could provide simple hooks for users
> (or PulseAudio) to do what they do most, e.g for a voice call the
> headset is used while for movies the HDMI output is used.

It's certainly useful for overriding the default behaviour - I'm more
worried about the idea of using it for the default.