[alsa-devel] UCM questions

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:12:51 CET 2011

Thanks Mark for your answers.

> The device/use case names there are just defaults, systems can add their
> own.  The default set of use cases and devices are likely to handle
> most cases but there's going to be a dependence on the system
> integration.

I am fine with a system-specific configuration file for each use case,
but if I have to change the defines in alsa-lib it's a bit of a pain.
It'll imply branches and specific packages just for a stupid include
file.

>> I make a difference between a USB headset and USB speakers?
>
> You'd probably need to handle identifying the different classes USB
> devices in whatever owns the use case configuration for the system.
> I'm not sure that's been looked at in much detail, USB host support is
> fairly unusual in the embedded systems this targets.

I am thinking netbooks and tablets where USB is more likely to be
present. For handsets I am not sure.

>> - has anyone generated a typical configuration file for USB and
>> HDAudio? I only see an OMAP conf.
>
> Someone asked this at LPC as well - my thought there is that probably
> PC systems would be happier trying to work without explicit use case
> configuration as they are currently.

Humm, not sure people are totally happy with audio on Linux PC
systems... we still don't have a simple solution for
routing/configuration/policy, UCM could provide simple hooks for users
(or PulseAudio) to do what they do most, e.g for a voice call the
headset is used while for movies the HDMI output is used.
-Pierre