[alsa-devel] How to add a new MIDI device to the usbaudio driver

Kristian Amlie kristian at amlie.name
Tue Aug 23 12:07:37 CEST 2011

On 08/23/11 11:38, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Kristian Amlie wrote:
>>   idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
>>   idProduct          0xb8d8
>
> There is a kernel driver for this chipset; try
> "modprobe ftdi_sio product=0xb8d8".  This will give you a serial port
> which you can try to configure for the correct baud rate and see whether
> MIDI bytes come out.  (There is currently no mechanism to make a MIDI
> device from such a serial port; this would require extending or creating
> a driver.)

Forgive me, I'm not very well acquainted with how serial drivers work in
Linux. The driver did give me a new device, so here is what I tried:

$ setserial /dev/ttyUSB0 spd_normal uart 16550A
$ cat /dev/ttyUSB0 > dump

I was not able to get any output from the serial device, however, while
cat was running and I was pressing buttons on the instrument, it
spontaneously changed program on me (MIDI program change), so
*something* goes across the wire.

--
Kristian