[alsa-devel] How to add a new MIDI device to the usbaudio driver

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:42:05 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:
> Kristian Amlie wrote:
>>   idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
>>   idProduct          0xb8d8
>
> There is a kernel driver for this chipset; try
> "modprobe ftdi_sio product=0xb8d8".  This will give you a serial port
> which you can try to configure for the correct baud rate and see whether
> MIDI bytes come out.  (There is currently no mechanism to make a MIDI
> device from such a serial port; this would require extending or creating
> a driver.)

Yes, an easy one, which just hard-codes the device to 31250,8N1. I'm
not sure whether the USB serial driver can handle this baud rate, btw.
I had quick look earlier and it seems that it would require a divider
setup that is not currently supported. Hence I though just sniffing
the setup is probably the easiest way to go.

Daniel