[alsa-devel] Questions about the alsa-driver-unstable tarballs

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Aug 15 11:58:10 CEST 2011

On 08/15/2011 11:15 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:54:56 +0200,
> David Henningsson wrote:
>> Hi Takashi,
>> 1) there seems to be a build failure with current
>> alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot [1] :
>> ...as alsa-kernel/soc/Makefile references a mxs/ directory, but this
>> directory is not present in the soc/ directory.
> Just forgot to update after merging sound git tree.
> Such a new build-stub has to be added manually.  Fixed now.

>> 2) it seems like the .bz2 version of alsa-driver-snapshot has
>> disappeared, is this intentional?
> tar.bz2 file is created on kernel.org server from tar.gz files
> automatically.  So when I upload a new tar.gz file, I delete tar.bz2
> file beforehand.  You seem to have looked at the directory just
> between my upload and the rebuild of tar.bz2 by the server.
> The same is true for alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.bz2, too, BTW.

Hmm, but the alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.bz2 seems still missing? Only
alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.bz2 is present.

>> 3) Could you explain the difference between alsa-driver-snapshot and
>> alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot, and how the alsa-kernel.git,
>> alsa-driver.git and sound-2.6.git come together to form the two
>> different tarballs?
> alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot is created from a combination of
> sound-unstable-2.6.git and alsa-driver-build-unstable.git trees,
> while alsa-driver-snapshot is from a combination of sound-2.6.git and
> alsa-driver-build.git trees.  The commit ids of these trees are found
> in alsa-driver*/HEAD and alsa-driver*/alsa-kernel/HEAD files.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. This means that sound-2.6.git and
alsa-driver-build.git are trees to remember unless told otherwise.
Hopefully, the next time it breaks I hopefully will be able to also
provide a patch against alsa-driver-build.git :-)

Btw, I've just got accepted by my manager(s) to go to Linuxcon and the
audio BoF, so see you in Prague! I'll be there the full week.

David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.