[alsa-devel] Questions about the alsa-driver-unstable tarballs

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Aug 15 11:15:35 CEST 2011

At Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:54:56 +0200,
David Henningsson wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> 1) there seems to be a build failure with current
> alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot [1] :
>
> ...as alsa-kernel/soc/Makefile references a mxs/ directory, but this
> directory is not present in the soc/ directory.

Just forgot to update after merging sound git tree.
Such a new build-stub has to be added manually.  Fixed now.

> 2) it seems like the .bz2 version of alsa-driver-snapshot has
> disappeared, is this intentional?

tar.bz2 file is created on kernel.org server from tar.gz files
automatically.  So when I upload a new tar.gz file, I delete tar.bz2
file beforehand.  You seem to have looked at the directory just
between my upload and the rebuild of tar.bz2 by the server.

The same is true for alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.bz2, too, BTW.

> 3) Could you explain the difference between alsa-driver-snapshot and
> alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot, and how the alsa-kernel.git,
> alsa-driver.git and sound-2.6.git come together to form the two
> different tarballs?

alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot is created from a combination of
sound-unstable-2.6.git and alsa-driver-build-unstable.git trees,
while alsa-driver-snapshot is from a combination of sound-2.6.git and
alsa-driver-build.git trees.  The commit ids of these trees are found
in alsa-driver*/HEAD and alsa-driver*/alsa-kernel/HEAD files.

The unstable tree is my playground.  It's a place to keep experimental
patches and for integration tests.  The alsa-driver-build-unstable
contains the needed build-stub for unstable tree.  Thus these trees
may be rebased while sound.git and alsa-driver.git trees are basically
never rebased.

When sound git tree is updated, sound-unstable tree is also updated
automatically by git-merge.  Sometimes the tree gets conflicts and
it's resolved manually, but usually a full automatic procedure.

alsa-kernel.git on alsa-project.org is another tree maintained by
Jaroslav, and it contains the kernel tree, i.e. corresponds to my
sound-2.6.git tree.  I usually don't touch this at all because of too
frequent rebase.

alsa-driver.git on alsa-project.org is basically identical with the
one in kernel.org.  It's sometimes out of sync because the
corresponding kernel git trees (sound.git and alsa-kernel.git)
differ.  But when the kernel tree gets synchronized, alsa-driver.git
is also merged together.

alsa-kmirror.git tree is another different tree.  It's a
self-contained alsa-driver tree including the kernel part.  This is
also maintained by Jaroslav.