[alsa-devel] Conexant CX20585 recording does not work

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:43:13 CEST 2011

2011/4/7 Gabriel Schulhof <nix at go-nix.ca>

> Hi!
>
> My mom has a laptop with the following sound card:
>
> lspci: 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> (rev 40)
>
> driver: snd_hda_intel
>
> alsamixer:
> Card: HDA ATI SB
> Chip: Conexant CX20585
>
> I can't record from this card no matter what I try. It seems that
> alsamixer has a lot of options:
>
> Mic B            <Capture switch>
> Mic C            <Capture switch>
> Mic E            <Capture switch>
> Mic F            <Capture switch>
> Capture          <0% -- 100% slider>
> Analog Mic Boost <0 db -- 40 db slider with 10 db increment>
>
> I have tried to record from each mic in turn, I have tried the different
> boost levels (0 db - 40 db), but I have had no luck picking up anything. I
> have attached an external mic to the line-in, but no difference.
>
> When I say "I have tried to record" I mean that I logged into her
> computer, chose one of the mics from the above list, and then I told my
> mom to say something while looking at the input sound level indicator in
> the GNOME sound settings panel. On other computers, I have found this a
> sufficient indication of whether the mic works.
>
> Is this inability to record a known limitation of this sound card? If not,
> is there some special setting I have to modify to make it work?
>
> Please find attached the output from alsa-info.
>
> TIA for your help,

you need to find a model which
1) support internal mic at 0x23
2) enable unsolicted mic event at mic jack 0x1b
3) enable unsolicted hp event at HP jack 0x19

cxt5066_capture_source has "Mic B" , "Mic C" , "Mic E" and "Mic F" for  0x1a
0x1b 0x1d 0x1e at node [audio selector] 0x17  and it cannot handle internal
mic at 0x23

cxt5066 has five connection at 0x14

    /* Node 14 connections: 0x17 0x18 0x23 0x24 0x27 */

but cxt20585 has only four connection

     0x17* 0x18 0x23 0x24