[alsa-devel] Conexant CX20585 recording does not work

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Apr 7 17:51:52 CEST 2011

At Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:34:59 +0300 (EEST),
Gabriel Schulhof wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My mom has a laptop with the following sound card:
>
> lspci: 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> (rev 40)
>
> driver: snd_hda_intel
>
> alsamixer:
> Card: HDA ATI SB
> Chip: Conexant CX20585
>
> I can't record from this card no matter what I try. It seems that
> alsamixer has a lot of options:
>
> Mic B            <Capture switch>
> Mic C            <Capture switch>
> Mic E            <Capture switch>
> Mic F            <Capture switch>
> Capture          <0% -- 100% slider>
> Analog Mic Boost <0 db -- 40 db slider with 10 db increment>
>
> I have tried to record from each mic in turn, I have tried the different
> boost levels (0 db - 40 db), but I have had no luck picking up anything. I
> have attached an external mic to the line-in, but no difference.
>
> When I say "I have tried to record" I mean that I logged into her
> computer, chose one of the mics from the above list, and then I told my
> mom to say something while looking at the input sound level indicator in
> the GNOME sound settings panel. On other computers, I have found this a
> sufficient indication of whether the mic works.
>
> Is this inability to record a known limitation of this sound card? If not,
> is there some special setting I have to modify to make it work?
>
> Please find attached the output from alsa-info.

Did you try the very latest alsa-driver version or alsa-driver
snapshot?  Your device should work without any model option in the
latest version.

The model name (e.g. "toshiba") doesn't have to match with the actual
device vendor.  Don't be fooled by that.  It's just an id, usually
taken for the first working machine with that quirk.
Actually, for Toshiba C650D, model=ideapad was taken as default.