[alsa-devel] hdspmixer broken for 96khz

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Sun Apr 3 12:25:16 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 11:39:41AM +0200, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > > the updated hdspmixer doesn't work for 96khz any more. the 44.1/48 khz
> > > versions are drawn correctly, the 88.2/96 khz version hides all
> > > controls, so just the menu is visible.
> >
> > I've seen "both", a *working* hdspmixer at 96k and all hidden controls.
> > The latter could be caused by wrongly initialized or restored presets.
> >
> > Can you try to activate the controls in the View menu again? Maybe even
> > the shortcuts work: I for Input section, P for Playback and O for
>
> ok, after removing my old hdspmixer configuration file, it seems to
> work. would be good to have a more robust behavior, since the current
> behavior is quite confusing and people may have rather complex mixer
> setups, which they would need to regenerate.

I thought I have paid attention to migrate the settings from the old
file format to the new one:

   http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-tools.git;a=commit;h=287bc091e9dba539399ba4540c60623dee1a3bc3

I wonder what went wrong. If you like, feel free to further dig into
this.

However, the current on-disk format is utterly stupid, it has no
meta-information at all, it will break if the order of cards change.

The whole hdspmixer is a dead-end, even supporting more than one card in
a single app complicates things like hell (I have an upcoming patch
series. Took me 6hrs or so just to get switching back/forth between two
cards right).

So the next thing I'd like to implement is to limit hdspmixer to a
single card and then run a new instance on the second, third, 4th a.s.o.
card. Like alsamixer -c 1: hdspmixer -c 1, maybe -c reflecting the ALSA
card number as found in /proc/asound/cards.

Anyway, the whole codebase is subtle broken, and the best approach would
be a rewrite from scratch. Maybe it makes sense to merge hdsp and hdspm,
first. Comments welcome. ;)

Cheers

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver