[alsa-devel] Alsamixer-Qt4 0.4.0 released

Sebastian H. vand2 at gmx.de
Sun Sep 26 12:36:09 CEST 2010

Am 26.09.2010 01:56, schrieb Raymond Yau:
> 2010/9/25 Sebastian H. <vand2 at gmx.de>
>

>> snd_mixer_selem_is_active() has been ignored so far since I wasn't sure
>> what it really meant.
>>
>> Seems the proper way to handle and *inactive* element is to hide the
>> slider/switch/enum widgets completely.
>> Alternatively they could be greyed out. But showing dead
>> widgets would probably just distract users and waste screen space.
>>
>> Btw. I'm still working on a alsamixer-qt4. There've been just so many
>> changes in the background that it takes some time to stabilize
>> everything again. And there're still open issues (mostly QT stuff).
>> So I would estimate two or three more weeks for a new release.
>>

> Seem I have quoted a wrong example
>
> Refer to patch_via.c , when "Independent Headphone" switch is on/off,
> In via_independent_hp_put() function call activate_ctl() which set the
> "Headphone Playback volume" and "Headphone Playback switch" controls to
> active/inactive
>
> This mean that the controls are only temporary inactive and can become
> active again
> the driver also call snd_ctl_notify(codec->bus->card,
> SNDRV_CTL_EVENT_MASK_VALUE, &ctl->id)
>
> Does it mean that the mixer application receive an event about the change of
> the active/inactive state of the control ?

The quick answer is likely yes.
Although the active/inactive evaluation part
it is not implemented, yet. But this shouldn't be too difficult with
the new dynamic design which roughly looks like this.

Buffer A - Offline buffer in in the background.
           Contains snd_mixer_t and snd_mixer_elem_t structs.
           Gets created once during mixer loading (or reloading).

Buffer B - Online buffer. Corresponds to the widgets.
           The layout (also means widgets visibility) can be changed
           on demand.

The value update flow then goes somewhat like this

- Socket event on the snd_mixer_t!
- Read the whole mixer state from the snd_* functions into Buffer A
- Value evaluation in Buffer A.
  On demand:
  - Adjust Buffer B to separate sliders with unequal channel values
  - Adjust Buffer B to hide/reveal inactive/active sliders (to be done)
- Copy the state from Buffer A into Buffer B updating the GUI widgets.

The slider separation already works (and is pretty neat :).
Though there still is an issue with channel values changing
one by one and not all together. This makes the Buffer A evaluator
think the sliders should be separated just to become equal again
directly after. I already thought about introducing a delay of a
second or so for slider separation (to be done).

The active/inactive state evaluation will be another check in the Buffer
A evaluation step. The check then can adjust Buffer B to
show/hide the respective GUI widget (to be done).