[alsa-devel] RME MADIface 192 kHz problem

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 22 11:12:21 CEST 2010

At Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:09:26 +0200,
Florian Faber wrote:

> Takashi,

> >> A working driver :)
> >>
> >> http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspe
> > How about posting the patches? :)
>
> It would be dozens/hundreds of single patches against the hdspm driver.

I don't mind any number of patches if they are written logically and
well readable.

> I'd rather replace it with the version above.

If it's more or less compatible with the current driver, it's fine.
But, one bulk patch is bad.  Even if you replace the driver code,
split in a logical order, at best.

> And I changed one ioctl
> which would break compatibility - although I doubt anybody used the
> levelmeter ioctl besides me. The version above is a 'public beta'.

If it's a new ioctl, it's OK.  We can drop the old (very likely)
unused ioctl eventually.  But using the same ioctl for different
behavior is no go.

> If the support for the AIO/RayDAT finally works - sure. But for that I
> still need to tell ALSA somehow that there are n buffers to use, n>2,
> with n IRQs per buffer cycle.

Well, actually I forget what your questions are.  Please continue it
on ML here.

All other sound drivers work fine with more than two periods, so I
don't think there is any restriction in the API side.

thanks,