[alsa-devel] Hang in snd_pcm_writei with alsa-pulse plugin

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:20:39 CET 2010

2010/11/2 Matthew Gregan <kinetik at flim.org>

> At 2010-11-02T10:43:54+0800, Raymond Yau wrote:
> Thanks for confirming that you can reproduce the problem.  I've since
> discovered that it's possible to produce the same problem with the
> PulseAudio API directly, so I'll take this up on pulseaudio-discuss at .
> Cheers,
> -mjg

A buggy PA client can easily crash the PA server

PulseAudio supports any sample rate between 1 Hz and 192000 Hz

Just change the rate of your program ptest.c from 48000 Hz to 1 Hz , this
will abort the PA server

E: sink-input.c: Assertion 'tchunk.length > 0' failed at
pulsecore/sink-input.c:551, function pa_sink_input_peek(). Aborting.

Seem that PA server did not check whether the info send by the PA client is
really supported by the server