[alsa-devel] Hang in snd_pcm_writei with alsa-pulse plugin

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 04:29:39 CET 2010

2010/11/1 Matthew Gregan <kinetik at flim.org>

> Hi,
>

> I've attached a simple test program that reproduces this problem reliably
> on
> my machine.  It writes a period sized buffer in a loop, waiting half a
> period until the next attempt.  Every few iterations, it pauses the sound
> device for half a period and then resumes it.  It usually hangs within 2-3
> pause/resume cycles.  Running the test with "-r" enables the recovery code
> mentioned above.  It never hangs when tested using the hardware ALSA
> backend
> with alsa-pulse disabled, but my sound hardware doesn't seem to support
> snd_pcm_pause.

when increase the sleep time from half period to one period, the hang occur
after around 50 pause/resume cycles.

did PA server  stop sending data to the sound card immediately when your
program pause ?

But cannot reproduce your problem using the "pause" function of aplay

which sound card are you using and did you change the pulseaudlo daemon.conf
?