[alsa-devel] No mixers on ATI RS780 Azalia

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Wed May 26 15:47:26 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 2010-05-26 14:39, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>> >There are definitely for the onboard sound, not for HDMI.
>>
>> The "SB" card has many more mixers (counting  10) and Windows XP also
>> shows about that many for SB. But neither in Linux nor Windows does
>> the SB card have any effect; I do have to turn the bars of the "HDMI"
>> one.
>>
>> Abnormal, well. It's (semi-)embedded, what did you expect.
>
>Wow, then is the HDMI cable connected inside the device?

Possibly. It looks quite embedded behind the casing - no recognizable
connectors, just soldering and wiring onto headers.

>Anyway, "IEC958 Playback Switch" should be turned on for HDMI.
>
>	% amixer -c1 IEC958 on

Well that does nothing. As there is no PCM channel for it, there is no
/dev/snd/pcmC1*, and thus mplayer - or any other progarm - won't even
try to output anything.

>Another issue is that HDMI audio is always through the video chip,
>thus the audio stuff is also controlled by the video driver.
>IIRC, ATI fglrx has a certain level of support for HDMI audio, but not
>sure about other drivers.

In other words, the Samsung 320MXn2 is a €2000 brick.
Time to return it.

Thanks for your analysis,
Jan