[alsa-devel] No mixers on ATI RS780 Azalia

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed May 26 14:39:19 CEST 2010

At Wed, 26 May 2010 14:21:59 +0200 (CEST),
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Wednesday 2010-05-26 14:10, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >> /proc/asound/cards:
> >>  0 [SB  ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
> >>            HDA ATI SB at 0xf0500000 irq 16
> >>  1 [HDMI]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
> >>            HDA ATI HDMI at 0xf0110000 irq 19
> >>
> >> The soundcard responsible for the internal speaker is the 01:05.1/"HDMI"
> >> one.
> >
> >Hmm?  HDMI output as the "internal" speaker is abnormal.
> >
> >> Under Windows XP, I see the following mixer elements for it:
> >>
> >>  * Master Volume
> >>  * Wave
> >>  * SW Synth
> >>  * CD Player
> >>
> >> Subsequently, there is sound (once I bump the volumes on these).
> >
> >There are definitely for the onboard sound, not for HDMI.
>
> The "SB" card has many more mixers (counting  10) and Windows XP also
> shows about that many for SB. But neither in Linux nor Windows does
> the SB card have any effect; I do have to turn the bars of the "HDMI"
> one.
>
> Abnormal, well. It's (semi-)embedded, what did you expect.

Wow, then is the HDMI cable connected inside the device?

Anyway, "IEC958 Playback Switch" should be turned on for HDMI.

	% amixer -c1 IEC958 on

Another issue is that HDMI audio is always through the video chip,
thus the audio stuff is also controlled by the video driver.
IIRC, ATI fglrx has a certain level of support for HDMI audio, but not
sure about other drivers.