[alsa-devel] Driver for AK4555 codec

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Jul 29 20:42:34 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:18:43AM +0200, Yoran Brondsema wrote:

> There is a driver available for the LPC3250 but none for the AK4555 codec,
> so I have to write it myself. I checked the document "Writing an ALSA
> Driver" by Takashi Iwai but it seems to focus on full-featured sound cards;
> I'm just dealing with a "simple" codec. I checked at the code of the uda1380
> in linux/sound/soc/lpc3xxx/lpc3xxx-uda1380.c and it seems to be calling some
> functions like platform_device_alloc, platform_set_drvdata,... but I can't
> find the documentation of what these functions do.

> Can someone give me some pointers to some documentation or some rough idea
> of how it needs to be done?

The documentation for ASoC is in:

	Documentation/sound/alsa/soc

which should give you a reasonable structural overview of things.

Probably the easiest thing for you to do is to clone the driver for a
simple I2C controlled CODEC such as the WM8523 and then replace all the
specifics of the register access with those for your CODEC.