[alsa-devel] Reg: Audio recording with twl4030 codec

shariff shariffsinbox at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:57:23 CET 2010

Hi all,

        I am working with OMAP3 based custom board that has twl4030 codec &
        using linux-2.6.29 kernel from opensource.

        I have some queries regarding Audio recording.

       Audio codec is connected to twl4030 as bellow

                                  TWL4030
                             |--------------------|
                             |                    |------ MAINMIC
      McBSP2  ------  |i2s/tdm         |
                             | ___________|

      --> One Analog MIC is connected to Main Mic and I am using Audio path
not the Voice path.

           After selecting Main Mic through amixer control.

           and recording audio using "arecord -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -t wav
-d 20 record-file.wav"

       --> Here record is successful but with lot of noise.

          1) Can we record Mono(1 channel) through I2S from TWL4030 codec?

          2) To record stereo(2 channels), do we need two Mic's ? (i.e do I
need Sub Mic also).

Regards,
Shariff