[alsa-devel] Cross-compile problem with alsa-driver version 1.0.22

Jie Jiang jjinfo at nudt.edu.cn
Sun Jan 3 04:08:17 CET 2010

Hi all,

Recently I downloaded alsa-driver 1.0.22 and tried to build for i.MX27

The "INSTALL" file enclosed in this release requires
"--with-cross=arm-linux-" configuration option to cross-compile alsa
driver for this ARM platform.

Here is my build process

#./configure --with-cross=arm-linux-
--with-build=/home/working/bsp/    Kernel/linux-
--with-moddir=/home/working/bsp/tmp --with-debug=full
--enable-dynamic-minors --with-cards=all

checking for gcc... arm-linux-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

It seems that "--host=arm-linux" should be provided to configure script.
However, when given the --host option, in the generated "Makefile.conf",
I saw the following outputs, which are very confusing:

 NEW_KBUILD       =
  mainsrcdir  = .
  MAINSRCDIR  = /work/63/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.22
  CROSS_COMPILE   ?= arm-linux-
  ARCH            ?=
  ifdef NEW_KBUILD
  CC      = $(CROSS_COMPILE)arm-linux-gcc
  CPP     = $(CROSS_COMPILE)arm-linux-gcc -E
  AS      = $(CROSS_COMPILE)as
  LD      = $(CROSS_COMPILE)ld
  CC      = $(CROSS_COMPILE)arm-linux-gcc
  CPP     = $(CROSS_COMPILE)arm-linux-gcc -E
  AR      = $(CROSS_COMPILE)ar
  GENKSYMS    = /sbin/genksyms -k 0.0.0

Obviously, the CC and CPP variables are not expected as "arm-linux-gcc".
(There is one more $(CROSS_COMPILE)!)

I overcome this problem by providing CC and CROSS_COMPILE variables with
configure script:
CC=gcc CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gcc  ./configure --with-cross=arm-linux-
--with-moddir=/home/working/bsp/tmp --with-debug=full
--enable-dynamic-minors --with-cards=all

Then things become OK.

What's wrong with the "INSTALL" file?

Another problem.
Even if "--with-cards=all" is given,  codes in soc/codecs, soc/imx, and
many other subdirs are not built.  Is this because my target kernel
version is too low ( It seems that the configure script
sets some variables according to the kernel version and target platform
and outputs into "toplevel.config".  Is it possible to manually edit
"toplevel.config" file (after configure process) to get soc/codecs,
soc/imx codes compiled?