[alsa-devel] Separate dma driver for cpu_dais

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Feb 18 11:57:50 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 07:32:22PM +0900, jassi brar wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Mark Brown

> > Where is the code you are talking about here?  This sounds like driver
> > code...

> Ahh... it's all messed up by that samsung.git link that Joonyoung Shim shared.
> I assumed you had a look at that. The code just a quick workaround, so
> I didn't put it up here
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/kki_ap/linux-2.6-samsung.git;a=commitdiff;h=e5858948bb2c534251b65a850caf197ae880ce1f

His link was to the entire tree rather than a particular bit of code, a
bit of a needle in the haystack thing going on there (especially since
you have actually modified the core and for looking at stuff like that
I'd generally drill down into the platform directory before looking at
logs or code).

The bits of that patch that make active a reference counter look good at
first glance, could you please pull them out and submit them?  Like I
said in reply to Joonyoung it's not immediately clear to me that the
startup and shutdown calls should be suppressed since I'd expect that at
least some drivers are going to want to know about multiple uses (for
example, returning -EBUSY if someone tries to have too many things
active at once).

In general for a vendor BSP I'd strongly recommend against any changes
in the core that don't get submitted to mainline - it's more of a
maintinance burden and makes it harder for people to take the drivers
and use them with other kernel versions if they don't notice the change.
Obviously the ideal is to merge the drivers as well, but changes in the
core are more risky to carry out of mainline than drivers.