[alsa-devel] line in recording w/ alsa - suggestions for a snd card?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Apr 1 17:20:25 CEST 2010

Lars Schotte wrote:
> CA0106 is supported, but I looked at the website and there is:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs
> CA0106
> 	Details 	[PCI] Digital/Analog input does not work yet.
> 	Needs more development work.
>
> so ... that seems like line in doesnt work yet, but on the unofficial
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ca0106
> is "
> Capture from MIC an LINE IN input.
> "
> so looks like that already works, but maybe recently.

The opensrc.org entry is newer.

However, the snd-ca0106 driver doesn't know the VX model; there are
reports that playback on the VX does not work at all (white noise)
unless the card was initialized by the Windows driver, then rebooted
into Linux.

> so the question now is, which of these two - SB 5.1 VX or Asus Xonar.
> I have a debian stable (lenny) w/ 2.6.26 old kernel and I would prefer
> if the card were already supported by that kernel, so I dont need to
> make any changes to the system any more.

The Xonar D1 has a not-buggy driver since 2.6.27.  I don't know Debian,
but it looks as if newer backported kernels are available.

HTH
Clemens