[alsa-devel] Mic stops working after installation (ALC861)

remrot at gmail.com remrot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:04:10 CEST 2009

I've done some more tests and collected a lot of data. And I found a
workaround for the problem: adding "position_fix=1" reactivates the mic! Now
I have sound and a working mic! However, there are some downsides:

First of all, the recording quality is much lower than within the live
session. I need to set the volume of the capture device to max to be able to
recognize my own voice, but that introduces a lot of noise to the recorded
stream. Within a live session, the recorded stream is much louder, it is
usable even with the capture device almost muted! I totally don't understand
how this can happen...

Secondly, I still consider it a bug when something works within the live
system and stops working after installation! This is kind of a
"sound-lottery" and would easily become a show-stopper for less experienced
users. To find the reason for the bug, I collected data from different
settings and compared them, without a result. However, I'm not an ALSA
developer, so I decided to attach all collected information hoping that it
will be helpful. These are the files inside the archive:

alsa-info-live.txt : information collected from the alsa-info script within
the live session (everything worked perfectly)
alsa-info-installed.txt : info collected after installation, with no
additional options (nothing worked, 1 out of 10 times the sound worked)
alsa-info-probe.txt : dito, but with 'probe_mask=8' (sound works, mic is
dead)
alsa-info-pos.txt : dito, but with  'position_fix=1' (sound and mic work,
but low quality)

I don't know for how long I'll have access to this machine, but as long as I
do, I can carry out additional tests and collect more data if necc.

Cheers

JK