[alsa-devel] No sound after returning from suspend-to-ram

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Sep 24 09:30:54 CEST 2009

At Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:20:19 +0300,
Ozan Çağlayan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A user complains that after returning from suspend-to-ram, he isn't able
> to get any sound from his laptop until rebooting.

Even reloading the driver doesn't fix?  No sound even from the
headphone?  If so, it's weird.  Likely the issue below the sound
hardware level, i.e. PCI or somewhat the core stuff.

> I delayed reporting
> this one because I once thought that it may be related to Pulseaudio or
> some kind of mixer level problem but now I tried to suspect the kernel
> and the drivers as well.
>
> This is 2.6.30.5 with alsa-* 1.0.21a. I have dmesg and alsa-info outputs
> before and after s2ram:
>
> dmesg before s2ram:
>   http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/attachment.cgi?id=4454
>
> alsa-info before s2ram:
>   http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/attachment.cgi?id=4455
>
> dmesg after s2ram:
>   http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/attachment.cgi?id=4456
>
> alsa-info after s2ram:
>   http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/attachment.cgi?id=4457
>

> Note that a traceback is dumped in dmesg during resume. Maybe it will
> give a clue about the problem, dunno.

Hm, I don't see anything special there through a quick glance...

> And there's something like
>
> hda_codec: invalid CONNECT_LIST verb 12[2]:2100
>
> in regular dmesg output, i wonder what does that mean too.

It means the widget 0x12 has an insufficient connection list.
When you look at codec proc file, you find that it has connection 0.
This is usually a hardware issue (e.g. a bug of codec chip).