[alsa-devel] Issue with creative Xfi PCIe ca0110-IBG

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 9 11:38:29 CEST 2009

At Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:19:04 +0200,
Guillem Solà wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Creative XFi PCIe with ca0110-IBG chip. It's primary use is
> audio input for streaming on a brand new Dell server with RHEL. I have
> been testing latest kernel 2.6.31 through it's releases candidates and
> the card stoped working on 2.6.31-rc6, so now I'm stuck at 2.6.31-rc5.
> With rc5 I made a 2 weeks test and it went flawlessly.
> There's another guy who referenced this issue on
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2009-September/020876.html
> and Takashi Iwai said that there is a communication error between the
> codec and the controller.
> Any workaround? Is there a bug created related to this issue?
> I tried to "extract" the alsa-driver on 2.6.31-rc5 and install it 2.6.31
> final without success. Also tried to get old snapshots from alsa-driver
> and alsa-kmirror but I cannot compile them. Any place where get some
> info about how to create

Then some codes added after rc5 regressed?
The candidates are not so many but a few:

    ALSA: hda: track CIRB/CORB command/response states for each codec

    ALSA: hda: take cmd_mutex in probe_codec()

    ALSA: hda: take reg_lock in azx_init_cmd_io/azx_free_cmd_io

    ALSA: hda: read CORBWP inside reg_lock

    ALSA: hda: remember last command for each codec

The suspicious changes are the first one and the third one.
But, anyway, it'd be helpful if you can bisect these.

If you can use git, git-bisect would be the best to try.
Do bisect only for changes in sound/pci/hda directory between
2.6.31-rc5 and rc6.