[alsa-devel] My Codec: IDT 92HD75B3X5 issues

Munzir Taha ( منذر طه ) munzirtaha at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:24:11 CEST 2009

On Yaum al-Jumma 12 Shawwal 1430 9:37:01 am Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > You can give "hp_detect = 0" to hints via sysfs and reconfigure.
> >
> > But this is not user friendly. I used to see it as an option on other
> > cards.
>
> It's intentional.  Otherwise user would choose it accidentally and cry
> out in 99% of probability :)

Linus Torvalds said it better than me

This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality of Gnome
is a disease ...
This is why you want graphical tools (that are there by default, so that
you don't have to know enough even to know to get them) to configure stuff
even for "experts". Because I'm an expert Unix user, but that doesn't mean
that I'm expert in some Gnome internal configuration issues.
;)
Seriously, I don't care a lot about this option.

> > > I thought it works now?
> >
> > No. If I plug the mic in the mic jack it works but if I plug it in the
> > headphone jack it doesn't.
>
> Errr, so you want to record from the headphone jack?
> This isn't specified in your BIOS to behave so, thus no go.  (Currently
> the behavior of the driver depends on the BIOS information.)  Write
> your own model quirk to override it.

I don't know why the BIOS is involved. According to
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm
let me quote

"Intel HD Audio also provides improvements that support better jack retasking.
The computer can sense when a device is plugged into an audio jack, determine
what kind of device it is, and change the port function if the device has been
plugged into the wrong port. For example, if a microphone is plugged into a
speaker jack, the computer will recognize the error and can change the jack to
function as a microphone jack. This is an important step in getting audio to a
point where it ‘just works‘-users won‘t need to worry about getting the right
device plugged into the right audio jack."

I also don't care about this feature myself but I love to see Linux at the top
and have accurate information about the current status. So, is it really a
BIOS issue or a driver issue?

> Both of your demands are not for "normal" users.  The driver could
> serve for that, but it needs some adjustment.  Of course, I'd happily
> apply any patch if you can provide.

Thanks a lot Takashi, you are doing an outstanding job. Please, keep it up.

--
Munzir Taha
Master CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI, SCSA