[alsa-devel] spdif/iec958 outputs at VT1708S not recognized

linux user raen at internode.on.net
Sun May 24 06:24:47 CEST 2009

Hi I am running 2.6.28-11-generic (Kubunti install) with M4A78T-E Motherboard
and also have no digital spdif output.

aplay -L
default:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
null
hdmi:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output

 I have read this thread (
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2009-May/016958.html ) and
gather that it is a problem with the BIOS and that it was fixable by patching
alsa source. As a newbie and not wanting to destroy my alsa source files can you
explain or refer me to a good howto of the steps needed?

Thanks

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2009-May/016958.html