[alsa-devel] spdif/iec958 outputs at VT1708S not recognized

Peter Niemayer niemayer at isg.de
Tue May 5 12:48:17 CEST 2009

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Peter Niemayer wrote:
>> I recently installed an Asus M4N78 mainboard, that uses a
>> nVidia GeForce 8300 chipset and a VT1708S soundchip.
>>
>> Alas, the code in pci/hda/patch_via.c did not recognize
>> the 3 existing iec958/spdif outputs, and presented only
>> the analog devices.
>
> Could you run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option, and attach the
> generated file?

Yes, find attached the output.
Please notice that this output was generated while my
patch...

>> I had to short circuit the pin definition
>> in vt1708S_parse_auto_config() to get the digital outputs
>> to work:
>>
>>          spec->multiout.max_channels = spec->multiout.num_dacs * 2;
>>
>> -       if (spec->autocfg.dig_out_pin)
>> +       // test fails for Asus M4N78 if (spec->autocfg.dig_out_pin)
>>                  spec->multiout.dig_out_nid = VT1708S_DIGOUT_NID;
>>
>>          spec->extra_dig_out_nid = 0x15;

... was in place and thus the digital outputs were available (and working).
(Otherwise, no digital outputs would have been reported)

> Fix your BIOS :)

Last time I asked Asus to fix a BIOS (regarding ACPI tables
of a notebook) the effort was futile :-(

> Or, having a static quirk table in the driver would be another and
> more reasonable option.  Usually we check PCI SSID to identify the
> model.

That would be much appreciated.

> BTW, the pin configuration can be overridden via hwdep sysfs files
> in the latest version, too.  Check Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.

I must admit that after reading the section "HD-Audio Reconfiguration"
in this file, it is not quite clear to me how this could be done.

Changing the abovementioned single source line was much easier for me... ;-)

Regards,

Peter Niemayer