[alsa-devel] Dynamically registering a codec

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu May 14 18:15:50 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 11:44 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:

> Can we stick with the modifications to of_simple I just posted for
> 2.6.31 and then try to get the core fixed in 2.6.32 so that of_simple
> can be removed? I have no love for of_simple, I will immediately
> remove it in favor of core support. Removing it has no impact on user
> space.

My main objection is to your abuse of platform devices here - there is
no need for this on non-PowerPC platforms and a platform device affects
everyone. So long as you come up with a solution that does not impact
other platforms I'm less worried.

> of_simple handles both i2s and ac97. There's no probing mechanism for
> i2s so we will have to keep device tree support that attaches i2s
> codecs. There's also the problem of platform data for the ac97 codec
> contained in the of node.

Like I said, Linux does not support platform data for AC97 devices.