[alsa-devel] Dynamically registering a codec

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu May 14 17:44:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Mark Brown
<broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 03:18:36PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
>
>> On PowerPC the device tree is used to dynamically load the correct
>> codec module. How am I supposed to get this dynamically loaded module
>
> For an AC97 CODEC in the standard configuration there should be no need
> for the CODEC to appear in the device tree for it to be discovered.
> However...
>
>> registered? The WM8580 codec registers itself.
>
> The CODEC driver should use the normal kernel APIs to get itself probed.
>
> In the specific case of AC97 what ought to be happening is that the
> CODEC driver is dynamically probed based on the ID registers (as the
> non-ASoC AC97 core code does).  There's quite a bit of infrastructure
> work that needs to be done on the AC97 bus to make that viable, though -
> at the minute it doesn't support dynamic module loading and is only
> used for secondary CODEC functions like touchscreens.  There doesn't
> seem to be much prospect of anyone doing anything with this in the
> immediate future, most of the PC side effort is on HDA these days and in
> the embedded space the situation is similar and there's more urgent
> things with AC97 like platform data that are likely to get dealt with
> first.

Can we stick with the modifications to of_simple I just posted for
2.6.31 and then try to get the core fixed in 2.6.32 so that of_simple
can be removed? I have no love for of_simple, I will immediately
remove it in favor of core support. Removing it has no impact on user
space.

of_simple handles both i2s and ac97. There's no probing mechanism for
i2s so we will have to keep device tree support that attaches i2s
codecs. There's also the problem of platform data for the ac97 codec
contained in the of node.

I would switch to HDA immediately but none of the embedded CPUs have
HDA controllers.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com