[alsa-devel] [Re: Crash when snd_pcm_open is called from a thread with "pulse" as playback]

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Mon Mar 9 15:51:27 CET 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 Nicolas.Castagne at imag.fr wrote:

> Hi Jaroslav, Takashi and all,
>
> thx for you answers.
>

> Takashi :
> > Hm, I don't see any reason, and I cannot reproduce a crash on my machine...
>
> I can reproduce it on my three Fedora10 machines, using 2 hardware.
>
> Jaroslav
> > I would suggest to comment out code from snd_config_update_free_global().
> > Try to comment out snd_dlobj_cache_cleanup() at first. You may compile
> > alsa-lib from the tar ball on www.alsa-project.org and use
> > LD_PRELOAD=alsa-lib/src/.libs/libasound.so.2.0.0 <your_program> for tests.
>
> Done.
>
> * First, no more bug when commenting    snd_dlobj_cache_cleanup
>
> * Also,  no more bug when commenting    dlclose
>        in snd_dlclose
>        called from snd_dlobj_cache_cleanup
>

> The only dynamically loaded lib is  _snd_pcm_pulse_open
>

> Seems once again that pulse is involved somewhere.

Maybe. I guess it's a glibc bug which might be Fedora specific. Could you
try glibc from different distribution (or maybe rawhide) using LD_PRELOAD
hack if this bug can be reproduced? Just unpack glibc rpm with rpm2cpio
and use libc.so, libdl.so and libphread.so files for LD_PRELOAD.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer