[alsa-devel] ASoC updates for 2.6.32

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jun 25 14:16:20 CEST 2009

At Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:01:21 +0100,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:36:54PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > You don't need to merge my branch now onto yours.  Instead, I'll merge
> > your branch first.  In that way without back-merging the upstream, the
> > history will be more straightforward.  That's what I learned
> > recently.
>
> Could you explain the problem here in more detail?  I don't see the
> difference this is going to make here - your topic/asoc branch already
> contains the upstream merge and all that should happen if I reset my
> history is that the metadata for the merge commit changes.  With the
> current branches your pull would just generate a fast forward.

Well, both pulling into the upstream and merging the upstream give
different graphs although the files in the end results are same.
GIT matters the order of parents.  If you compare gitk (or git-log
--topo-order) outputs of both merges, you see the different.  When the
upstream is merged into ASoC, the whole upstream commits are shown
first, then following ASoC commits.  When ASoC is merged into an
upstream, then the result becomes reversed.  So, it's clear that the
merge started from that upstream point.

> The issue I'm aware of is with constantly pulling up mainline or other
> merged branches into the topic branch during normal development since
> that creates a merge heavy history which is harder to read and bisect
> but that's not what's happened here.

So, a similar phenomenon happens here.

To us, 2.6.31-rc1 is the new base-point to begin with.  This is not
the point to be merged.

thanks,